Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Israel's Harsh Task Masters


My SMART Journal
Bible Reading: Exo. 1-2

S-ignificance: Israel’s Harsh Task Masters

M-essage: “And they made their lives bitter with hard bondage, in mortar, and in brick, and in all manner of service in the field: all their service, wherein they made them serve, was with rigour.” (Exo. 1:14)

Because of fear that the Israelites someday would become a powerful nation, Pharaoh thought of many ways to suppress them. He managed to keep them poor by collecting from them heavy taxes and made them slaves. Because of their alarming growth, the Egyptians afflicted them with their burdens; but the more they afflicted them, the more they multiplied and grew. The more the Egyptians intensified their oppression. The Bible says their masters made the children of Israel to serve with rigour; this means they forced them to work until they break apart. They were so harsh that their cruel oppression made the Israelites’ lives bitter.

A-pplication: Sin is also a harsh taskmaster. It forces us to do things against God but it fails to give us any reward. Jesus warned us of spiritual slavery in John 8:34, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.” Sin, as a cruel master, does not care about us.  Just as the Egyptians’ intent was to afflict the Israelites just to destroy them, to shorten their lives, or kill them, so also is sin to our spirits. But why should we remain in bondage to people or practices that do not really care about us, when Jesus does. Jesus is a kind master; a person who serves the Lord Jesus will be set free (John 8:32). He said, “You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free (John 8:32).  Jesus is the Truth (John 14:6), we must know Him.

R-esponse: Thank You, Lord that you set me free from my former evil master. My life was made bitter because of sin, but when You came I’ve learned how sweet it is to really live. Now that You are my kind Master, I’d like to serve You with all my heart—Forever. You are my Master and I love You.

T-ext: Exo. 1:14

No comments:

Post a Comment