Wednesday, March 5, 2014

God Is A God Of Covenant


My SMART Journal
Bible Reading: Gen. 15

S-ignificance: God Is A God of Covenant

M-essage: God promised to give Abraham the land of Canaan, but have to wait for some years until the iniquity of the Amorites is full. The Israelites will be slave of Egypt for 400 years (maybe for a reason—to prepare them), at the same time God was waiting for the sins of the Amorites to be full before God would punish them and to drive them out from the land due to their unrepentant attitude towards the patience of God.
                Here, I see God making a covenant with Abraham. Gen. 15:18-21. “Nangako ako na ibibgay sa lahi mo ang lupaing ito, mula sa hangganan ng Egipto hanggang sa ilog ng Euphrates, kasama ang lupain ng mga Cineo, Cinezeo at Camoneo, ang mga heteo, Perezeo at Rafaita gayon din ang lupain ng mga Ammoreo, Cananeo, Gergeseo at Jebuseo.”
                Why did God have to make a covenant? Why does He have to bind Himself with His words just to bless man who obey Him. This thing amazes me!

A-pplication: Many times I ask God many things for my life. I ask Him of the many things I need. I know He is a God who meets my needs but many things that I pray for have not yet materialized. Now, I am reminded that the problem is not with God who is more than willing to bless me. I realize that most of the problem is on my part. As in this passage, I see that a covenant has two parts: God’s part (to be faithful with His promise) and man’s part, (to obey Him, to do His will and be pleasing unto Him). I realize today that I am not very serious with my part of the covenant.

R-esponse: let me be particular today with my devotionals. Since I’ve learned the beauty of covenant today, this day, Sept. 21, 2007, I make a covenant with God to take my devotionals seriously.
Lord, please help me to become an obedient servant and child of Yours. Help me to do my part of the covenant faithfully as long as I live, In Jesus’ Name, Amen.


T-ext: Gen. 15:18-21


No comments:

Post a Comment